On Tuesday evening (July 20, 2017) several of us from Crosskey Architects attended a great event. Girona Ventures and Wonder Works Construction Company, or as their brand in Hartford is called, "Spectra," hosted A Celebration of Hartford's Past, Present, and Future. The event was unique in the fact that rather than simply being about Spectra and all of the great things they have done and are continuing to do, the event was about celebrating the revival of Hartford.
Jeff Ravetz of Girona Ventures and Spectra gave an excellent presentation on why he and his Partner Joseph Klaynberg (Wonder Works & Spectra) chose Hartford and continue to believe in the city and its potential. Additionally, William Crosskey (Crosskey Architects), Mike Friemuth (Capital Region Development Authority), and Mayor Luke Bronin also spoke to the group.
There was a great sense of optimism, while not hiding some of the large structural issues that face the city and state. However, since most of us born and raised in CT and in the Hartford area are only used to seeing and talking about the negative things going on, we thought we'd share several of the great things going on in Hartford that show that Hartford is on the Rise!
- Continued investment in the city from private investors. As we look at all of the development and re-development throughout the city, we sometimes forget that this is showing us that private capital is coming into the city. People are betting on Hartford! Recent projects include: The Goodwin Hotel, Spectra Boutique Apartments, The Capewell Lofts, The Capitol Lofts, Spectra 101 and Spectra 111, to name a few.
- Dunkin' Donuts Park has won "Best of the Ballparks, Double A."
- Pratt Street is closed to vehicular traffic during some daytime hours, opening the street to pedestrian traffic and providing a great place to go during lunch.
- Hamilton is coming to the Bushnell!!!
- Every weekend this summer there will be free, outdoor, family oriented events in Hartford. Check out Summer in Hartford to get more info.
- Riverfront Recapture has got the Mortensen Plaza more active than ever this summer! Whether it’s driving fish food golf balls into the river, or listening to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone being read aloud over lunch, catching happy hour with friends at Thursday Nights on The Plaza, or free WIP into Shape and Yoga Flow on the River classes, there is definitely something for everyone.
- Hartford was designated as an Innovation Place in 2017 by CTNext.
So when we say Hartford Has It, there is definitely proof in the pudding!